A Public Product Equals a Public Life
In Medias Res (To Be in the Middle of Things)
There's an old Italian proverb often not heard anymore; it reads "La fame caccia il lupo dal bosco." It translates as "hunger drives the wolf out to the woods." In modern times however, you are more likely to hear the famous Steve Jobs quote "stay hungry, stay foolish". At Tectvs, we believe that the best contemporary Architecture Studios contribute to the public discourse of the profession, and in turn contribute to the public as a whole.
Going back to the two proverbs, regardless which is more appropriate an analogy, what matters is that we are all fed! To be fed we need to seek engagement with our community. Tectvs is a community based on specific values and responsibilities.
Our people join a defined culture: we are here to inspire each other, challenge each other, inform and teach each other, respect each other.
We work, we play. It is more than being talented designers.
Tectvs people understand that we are responsible to other communities: our client community, our industry community, the wider community. Sometimes we need to be leaders. To the community it is a major concern. To us, it is a responsibility.
Our range of public activities is as wide as our range of projects. Selected public contributions include:
- Tectvs performed at the 2014 Festival of Architecture and Design, presenting at "Unbuilt Adelaide", where the story of Currie Street's famously unbuilt skyscraper was told.
- Tectvs was a sponsor of the 2014 Venice Architecture Biennale
- Our Managing Director Gary Bonato, is a Presiding member of the Architectural Practice Board of South Australia.
- Antonio Giannone, is an Adjunct Associate Professor at the University of Adelaide where he teaches an International Design Workshop. Antonio recently travelled to Beijing as a Juror for the 2015 APDF International Council Conference and gave a speech at the Chinese Academy of Fine Arts entitled “Homeless: the Design Culture of the Internet Era”. Antonio spoke on how the speed of digital culture has transformed architecture, affecting our conception of regional identity and culture, before calling on architects and the broader profession to touch and feel design and architecture again rather than download it.
- Francesco Bonato has been President of the South Australian Institute of Architects and is an Adjunct Associate Professor at the University of Adelaide where he teaches Professional Practice.
- We continually enter numerous local architectural competitions, including the Royal Adelaide Hospital Design competition, Flinders Street Station international design competition and the Royal Adelaide Hospital competition.
We have been a key contributor to Common Ground, a small part of a pioneering moment to address endemic homelessness by providing affordable housing to those in need. Tectvs also makes an important contribution back to the local economy. We often go out of out way to use local suppliers where we can and are well known for helping our clients by hosting our events at their establishments.
After 27 years in the profession, Tectvs knows that the key to success is not the buildings you build, but the relationships that are created with your collaborators, your community and your client.
Tectvs is well and truly 'punching above its weight' in its contribution to the profession and practice of architecture.